It’s getting to that time of year! Spring greens are sprouting and there are actually fresh vegetables at the farmer’s market! There are tons of leafy greens around, but the problem is storing them so they don’t wilt on the second day.
There is nothing worse than bringing home a beautiful bunch of kale only to find it wilted after only a couple of days. I’ve used the following method with a fair amount of success – greens can last up to two weeks in the crisper if they are stored correctly.
HOW TO STORE LEAFY GREENS:
Wash the greens (keep the leaves as whole as possible – precut greens will not last as long)
- Pat the greens dry or dry them in a salad spinner
- Stack the greens on a towel (you can use paper towels for convenience)
- Wrap the greens in the towel
- Place the wrapped greens in a ziploc bag (or other airtight container)
- The greens should stay fresh for 1-2 weeks